Cromolyn Sodium Capsules Compounded
Cromolyn sodium is an anti-inflammatory medication. It works by preventing the release of substances such as histamine from mast cells in the body that cause inflammation.
This medication requires a prescription.
To process your order we will require a prescription from you or your Prescriber. We will only compound and dispense upon receipt of a valid patient specific prescription.
- Your prescriber can mail or fax in the prescription
- You can mail in the original prescription
- We can contact your prescriber for you
- You can transfer your prescription from another pharmacy
Are you a licensed Prescriber?
- We have convenient ways to get your prescription to us:
- Fax to 844-922-7379
- Send electronically (e-prescribe) by:
- Searching for CareFirst Specialty Pharmacy in Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
- Using our NCPDP# 3151266
- Phone into 844-822-7379
- For more information about our products and services:
Looking for a Different Strength?
Contact us for a Quote.
We are a nationally accredited PCAB compounding pharmacy and a .Pharmacy verified website. A verified .Pharmacy website designation ensures our patients and prescribing partners that our website is verified and safe.
Actual product image may vary.
Cromolyn sodium is used to treat allergic asthma associated with specific triggers. It is classified as a mast cell stabilizer decreasing the activity of mast cells and preventing the release of inflammatory mediators upon presence of an antigen.
(KROE moe lin)
Gastrocrom (brand name)
Mast Cell Stabilizer
Mechanism of Action:
Inhibits the release of mast cells of histamine, leukotrienes, and slow-reacting substances of anaphylaxis by inhibiting degranulation after contact with antigens. It inhibits chloride transport and affects calcium gating, which, ultimately prevents mediator release from intracellular granules.
There are no known significant interactions
Common side effects you might experience: diarrhea, headache, upset stomach or throwing up, trouble sleeping, sneezing, bad taste in mouth, and joint pain
Tell your doctor if you begin to have any of these symptoms following cromolyn administration: signs of an allergic reaction (i.e. rash, hives, itching, peeling skin with or without fever), wheezing or coughing, muscle pain or weakness, shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs
Cromolyn is best taken 15-20 minutes before meals. You may swallow whole or mix the contents of capsule with water. Keep taking medication until advised by doctor or healthcare provider to discontinue even if you feel well. Do not stop taking medication all of a sudden without calling your doctor.
Contact your healthcare provider for specific dosing instructions.
Neither human data nor the animal reproduction data for cromolyn suggest a risk of embryo-fetal harm.
Use of cromolyn by a mother who is breastfeeding is acceptable.
The molecular weight of cromolyn is low enough to allow excretion into breast milk, however, the amount of systemic circulation of cromolyn are extremely low.
Children over 2 years of age received cromolyn safely, however, safety and effectiveness have not been established in patients less than 2 years of age.
- Cromolyn [Lexi-Drugs]. Lexi-Comp. Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. http://online.lexi.com. Updated August 27, 2020. Accessed September 16, 2020.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Compound Summary for CID 27503, Cromolyn sodium. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Cromolyn-sodium. Accessed Sept. 16, 2020.
- Murphy S, Kelly HW. Cromolyn sodium: a review of mechanisms and clinical use in asthma. Drug Intell Clin Pharm. 1987;21(1 Pt 1):22-35. doi:10.1177/10600280870211p102
Consult your prescriber
Use the medication as prescribed by your doctor. The information provided is not intended to cover all possible uses. This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. If you have questions about the use of your prescription, please contact your prescriber.
Troches and suppositories require refrigeration (ice packs) and will incur an extra charge of $19.95 per order.